Official Reopening and Rededication
The event on Sunday 24th May 2015 was a truly inclusive community event involving The Bishop of London, the new Vicar Of Christ Church, the congregation, the scout group, a local Enfield choir, local residents of all ages, councillors and civic representatives.
The day started out with a service at Christ Church celebrating 400 years of Christian worship at the site of Southgate's first church, The Weld Chapel. The Bishop of London led the church service and then walked from Christ Church along Waterfall Road into the walled Minchenden Oak Garden through a guard of honour formed by 6th Southgate cub scouts. The Bishop described his great surprise to find "a secret green garden hidden behind the walls with this magnificent ancient oak tree dating back to an acorn in 1215; the king of trees with its roots set deep in the earth."
The history of the garden was explained by Denise Gandhi representing The Friends of the Minchenden Oak Garden. An Oak tree sapling which had been grown from an acorn collected from the Minchenden Oak 15 years ago was planted by the deputy mayor and the deputy lieutenant of Enfield. Songs were sung by the youth choir and thanks were given for the long life of the old tree and towards the forth coming life of the new tree. Wildflower seeds were distributed to the choir, the cub scouts and the bishop who scattered the seeds beneath the trees.
The Party continued over the road at the church hall where the celebrations included a buffet lunch, a toast to the new vicar and a share of a birthday cake in the shape of The Weld Chapel.